Thursday, September 2, 2010

Of Empathy and Psychopathy.

I've always thought of myself as good people. I feel bad for those less fortunate than me. I've been known to have a sook at the news. I believe in the presumption of innocence. I've never started inappropriate fires or tortured pets.
I hate it when people laugh at the misfortunes of other people and I've always assumed that if something bad were to happen to someone I didn't like I would feel bad for them.
WRONG!

I have discovered that if I don't like you and something bad happens to you that I won't care. I won't laugh but even though I know I should force up some sympathy I will find it impossible. I've been a bit freaked out by this. For a while there I thought that maybe I was a psychopath after all. No-one likes psychopaths (except those women who write to them in prison) so obviously I wasn't happy about my new-found psycopathy. I have been reassured that I'm not a psychopath and it's ok/human not to have much sympathy for people we dislike. Even so, I'm a bit disappointed in myself. Maybe I'm not good people after all.

Now, where did I put the gaffer tape and my cable ties?

3 comments:

Maxabella said...

I just left you a way-too familiar post over on your 'other blog' before realising that I had just crashed a party. So I popped over here to say 'hi' and also 'please read my comment on your quiet, nice, just-for-friends blog and imagine that I wrote it on this blog instead'.

Hi!

x

Maxabella said...

Oh, and I would just like to say that I find it weird that you have no empathy for unlikeables, but I'm not going to let that dissuade me from becoming too familiar. Unless you gaffer tape me.

x

dachlostar said...

Don't worry I find it weird too. Until yesterday I would have told you that I did.